Winter reservations for huts in the 10th Mountain system begin in the spring each year, through a lottery followed by an early call-in and online booking period. 10th Mountain, Summit Huts Association and Grand Huts Association members are welcome to participate in this early booking system. This process is an attempt to fairly allocate the limited winter hut space available in the huts each year. Membership dues go to support 10th Mountain education programs, as well as supplying and maintaining the huts. If you are not a member you can become a member before you enter your lottery form, or you can indicate you want to become a member on your lottery form. You can follow the links below to fill out an online lottery form or print out a paper one. We are no longer mailing out paper forms unless you request them!
2017-2018 Winter Lottery is now closed
Important Lottery Dates:
- Lottery forms due Feb 13th, 2017
- The lottery process itself begins the 1st business day of March. At this time reservationists pull lottery forms and issue trips.
- Post-Lottery winter booking for members, 10th Mountain system: Online and over the phone starting at 8:00am on the first business day of April.
- Post-Lottery winter booking for non-members, 10th Mountain system: Online and over the phone starting at 8:00am on the first business day of June.
Other Important Reservation Dates:
- Braun and Friends’ huts are not booked in our lottery. These huts can be reserved online and over the phone starting at 8:00am on the first business day of May (the previous spring). No membership is required.
- Summer reservations are not booked in our lottery. Summer reservations can be made online and over the phone starting at 8:00am on the first business day of October (the previous fall). No membership is required.
How does the lottery work? In late-December or early-January each year, the online and the PDF version of our lottery form will be available on our website. We are no longer mailing out paper forms unless you request them. Members complete these forms by listing an unlimited number of options for trips that they would be interested in taking during the next winter. Every member is welcome to submit one lottery entry to receive up to one itinerary (this can be for a multiple night trip, to more than one hut, and/or for multiple people). Forms must be completed and returned to 10th Mountain by Februrary 13th, 2017.
Starting on the 1st business day of March, 10th Mountain begins drawing entry forms. We draw each and every form and read through each member's choices, working in order of their preference to try and book a trip. If one of the member's choices is available, we book that trip, charge their credit card for the trip cost, and email the hut trip confirmation letter. Each year we receive more than 1,000 entries and about 87% of entrants receive a trip.
After the lottery, members have the option to book more trips during an early call-in and online booking period starting at 8:00am the 1st business day of April. Regular ($35) members can reserve up to two additional trips (or three, if they did not receive a trip in the lottery). Leader ($100) and Lifetime ($1000) members can reserve an unlimited number of additional trips.
Non-members can begin reserving trips online or over the phone at 8:00am on the first business day of June.
Tips for getting a Lottery Trip
- The hut system is extremely popular. The downside of this is that the lottery is becoming extremely competitive(last year we got over 1000 forms), especially for weekends and holidays. The most popular dates are the weekends from the middle of January through the middle of March. The most popular holidays are New Years, MLK Day and Presidents Day. Listing options outside of these dates and holidays or listing weekday choices will greatly improve your chances of getting a trip. If you list weekends in February as your only choices and your form isn't chosen in the first few hundred, your chances of getting a trip are greatly reduced.
- Just as some dates are more popular, there are also some huts that are more popular. The huts closest to the Front Range and Denver (Janet's, Francie's, Eiseman Hut, 10th Mountain Division Hut, Uncle Buds and the Sangree Froelicher) see more traffic and are more popular in the lottery than the huts that sit in the Roaring Fork Valley (Harry Gates, Margy's Hut, McNamara Hut, Benedict Huts and the Betty Bear Hut.) Listing some of the huts in the Roaring Fork Valley will greatly increase your chance of getting a trip in the lottery (the one exception to this is the Peter Estin Hut, which is extremely popular.)
- We realize the reason the huts closer to Denver are more popular is because they are a much shorter drive for people living along the Front Range. Furthermore the Roaring Fork Valley has the reputation of having few affordable lodging options for people who may want to come over the night before their trip and get an early start the next day. Because of this we have listed some of the more affordable lodging options that are within 1 to 1.5 hours of any of the trailheads in the Roaring Fork Valley. This list is by no means exhaustive, but we hope it will help expand the options people have when filling out their lottery forms.
Lodging in and around the Roaring Fork Valley
The following lodges and hotels offer surprisingly affordable prices, many with full kitchens or kitchenettes. For a one night stay before or after your hut trip, it is a good idea to call the property to discuss pricing and availability, as some minimum night booking requirements may be waived depending on vacancies – and some online calendars may not show single night availability. Hut groups may also be able to book rooms that can accommodate as many as 4 to 6 guests – which greatly decreases the per person rate.
- The Snow Queen Lodge (Aspen) - (970)925-8455
- The St. Moritz Lodge and Dormitory (Aspen) - (970)925-3220, 800-817-2069
- Tyrolean Lodge (Aspen) - (970)925-4595, 888-220-3809
- Best Western Aspenalt (Basalt) - (970)927-3191, 877-379-6476
- Diamond J (Basalt/Fryingpan) - (970) 927-4188
- Element Basalt – Aspen, By Westin (Basalt) 970-340-4040, 877-353-6368
- Comfort Inn (Carbondale) - (970)963-8880, 800-473-5980
- Days Inn (Carbondale) - (970)963-9111
- Avalanche Ranch Cabins & Hot Springs (Up the Crystal River from Carbondale) - (970)963-9111
- Quality Inn & Suites on the River (Glenwood Springs) - (970)945-5995
- Hampton Inn (Glenwood Springs) - (970)947-9400
- Holiday Inn (Glenwood Springs) - (970)928-7800, 888-465-4329
- Holiday Inn Express (Eagle) - 970-328-8088, (888)303-2453
- Other Rooms, Apartments, Homes