How to Make a Reservation
Most reservations for the huts are taken by phone at 970-925-5775, with the exception of the lottery, which is conducted by mail and fax. For more information on the lottery, please see the Lottery and Membership section of this site (please click "Join" on the menu at top or bottom of page). Non-lottery reservation requests are not accepted by mail or fax. Email reservation requests and online reservations are not accepted.
Our reservations office is located in Aspen at 1280 Ute Avenue, Suite 21, in the Benedict Building (near the Aspen Club and Ute Trail parking). If you are in Aspen during business hours, please feel free to stop by to make a reservation in person, look at or purchase maps and/or guidebooks, discuss potential trip itineraries, etc.
Reservations Office Hours:
- March 16th - November: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- December - March 15th: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Dates Reservations Open for the Huts:
- Summer, 10th Mountain system: October 1st
- Winter Lottery for members, 10th Mountain system: March 1st
- Winter Call-In for members, 10th Mountain system: April 1st
- Winter for non-members, 10th Mountain system: June 1st
- (If the 1st is on a weekend, reservations will open on the first business day of the month.)
Payment and Cancellation Policy:
Full payment by Visa, MasterCard or American Express is due at the time of reservation (including trips reserved through the lottery). After booking your trip, you will receive a packet via e-mail that includes a confirmation letter detailing your itinerary. It is your responsibility to review this information upon receipt. If there appears to be an error in your itinerary, call 10th Mountain immediately. Group Leaders: Due to an increase in members of groups not paying for hut nights or signing releases, additional responsibility and liability is being placed on the group leaders. In the Waiver and Release Agreement, group leaders will agree to indemnify 10th Mountain and other hut owners/operators for any liability for injuries, paralysis or death to any member of his/her group that does not sign a Waiver and Release Agreement. In addition, the group leader will be charged for the otherwise unpaid for hut nights. We trust this will encourage all hut users to pay for their nights and sign releases. Be aware that any changes or cancellations require a 30 day advance notice for an 80% hut credit applicable towards a future hut trip. This credit is not transferable between huts in the 10th Mountain system, Braun Huts, and Friends hut. Cancellations made less than 30 days prior to your trip start date will result in forfeiture of your payment. No credit is available within 30 days of a trip start date. No refunds.
Special Avalanche Cancellation Policy for the Braun Huts and Friends Hut: Because the Alfred A. Braun Huts and Friends Hut are located in areas of known avalanche terrain with recurring avalanche cycles, an additional opportunity to cancel due to avalanche danger exists in these huts. Groups with reservations in these huts may cancel on the scheduled day of their trip due to high or extreme avalanche danger. These groups will be given a full hut credit for a future hut trip. This credit is not transferable between huts in the Braun system, the Friends Hut, and huts in the 10th Mountain system. No refunds will be given at any time, for any reason.
Tips for Finding Available Spaces
The hut system is extremely popular. The downside of this is that reservations are hard to get, especially for weekends and mid-winter dates (see "availability" on menu to left). The most popular huts (Eiseman Hut, Peter Estin, 10th Mountain, Uncle Bud's, Sangree M. Froelicher, Francie's, and Janet's) will often be booked solid in February and March. Winter weekend and holiday nights are usually taken nearly a year ahead through lottery reservations and early call-in booking. For information on how to participate in early reservations, please see the Lottery and Membership section of this site (click "join" at top or bottom of page).
If a hut or date that you are interested is already full, you can:
- Check the Hut Space for Sale Bulletin Board on this site to see if someone is selling space that you might be interested in.
- Post a message Hut Space for Sale Bulletin Board stating that you are interested in buying spaces for a specific hut and/or date.
- Check the Hut Availability screen 45 and 30 days before you want to go to a hut. These are good times to check for space because guide services must cancel at least 45 days prior to their start date. Other hut customers have to cancel at least 30 days prior to their trip start date.
- Consider booking a trip mid-week when the huts are less crowded, or early or late in the season.
- Depending on the year, December and April can offer great ski conditions. Also keep your mode of travel to the huts in mind. For example, if you are planning on snowshoeing, breaking trail in snowshoes through plentiful mid-winter powder can be more of a trial than a benefit. Consider a spring trip when the huts are less crowded and the daylight hours are longer.
- If you are just not able to go on any of the dates that are available for huts that we take reservations for, you may want to consider some of the other huts and hut systems in the area. Contact information for many of these huts is available on the Huts Not Booked by 10th page of the Huts section of this site.
- We realize the reason the huts closer to Denver are more popular is because they are a much shorter drive for people living along the Front Range. Furthermore the Roaring Fork Valley has the reputation of having few affordable lodging options for people who may want to come over the night before their trip and get an early start the next day. Because of this we have listed some of the more affordable lodging options that are within 1 to 1.5 hours of any of the trailheads in the Roaring Fork Valley. This list is by no means exhaustive, but we hope it will help expand the options people have when planning a hut trip.
Lodging in and around the Roaring Fork Valley
- The Snow Queen Lodge(Aspen) - (970)925-8455
- The St. Moritz(Aspen) - (970)925-3220
- Tyrolean Lodge(Aspen) - (970)925-4595
- Best Western Aspenalt(Basalt) - (970)927-3191
- Comfort Inn(Carbondale) - (970)963-8880
- Days Inn(Carbondale) - (970)963-9111
- Hampton Inn(Glenwood Springs) - (970)947-9400
- Holiday Inn(Glenwood Springs) - (970)928-7800
- Holiday Inn Express(Eagle) - (888)303-2453
- Diamond J(Basalt/Fryingpan) – (970) 927-4188; Diamond J Website