Vance's to Jackal gear advice?

Post anything you think may be of interest to other hut users. Possible postings could include: Gear for Sale, Gear Wanted, Ride Exchange, Travel/Ski partners, Announcements about Avalanche or Backcountry Courses, Suggestions, Presentations or Slide Shows, Backcountry Tips, and Lost & Found. Please avoid profanity and heavy politcial polemics.
rljuba

Vance's to Jackal gear advice?

Post by rljuba » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Going from Vance's to Jackal using Cataract Creek route the last 3.5 miles up. Debating using a sled. Anyone gone this route, have sled towing experience (or not) with comments or advice on wisdom or folly of pulling a sled up this steep section of trail? Will be on Alpine Touring skis with skins. Able to switch to snowshoes if so advised.

SHA

Re: Vance's to Jackal gear advice?

Post by SHA » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:21 pm

It's a steep slog up cataract creek with some side hill depending on how the trail has been broken. Unless your group is accustomed to doing heavy mule hauling type work with a sled, I'd advise packing as light as possible. What do you really need? How can you pare it down?

and I would never recommend snowshoes over skis

jmpet

Post by jmpet » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:15 pm

There was a time that I thought the sled was the way to go. Good up to 10th Mt. and to Uncle Buds and that sort of thing. Then I pushed the issue too far and used a sled to go from Turquoise Lake to Skinner Hut, not good. Not to be a fast learner, I decided to take a sled from Road 505 to Betty Bear then on to Skinner Hut. That was the last time I ever used a sled. Now, if I can't carry it on my back it doesn't go. The sled is very good on low sloped trials with no side slope at all. Just think how much fun you'll have traversing a hill side while the sled is pull you down hill off the trail. Do yourself a big favor and ditch the sled. I'd much rather take the extra day and cache supplies in advance.

kellymri

Post by kellymri » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:30 am

I snowshoed up this route on Sat Jan 16 as a long day trip/scouting trip and was breaking trail all the way. No tracks to follow and I was sinking up to my knees in snow. It's steep and long. I would forgo the sled and pack as light as possible.
If you need to take the sled, another option once you reach the bottom of Camp Hale Valley is to follow the well groomed, packed snow road #714 to the Ranch Creek road. Take this route up to hut. It is more heavily used and you wouldn't probably have to break trail.

hweik

Post by hweik » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:13 pm

Concur with not using sleds. The route is doable, but the snow is very dry and sugary, not packing down well, and it will be a tough slog, with a lot of sidehilling. kellymri is probably the ONLY person who has been up the Cataract Creek route for a week, so you will not have much of a track to follow. We were at JackAl last weekend 16-18 Jan, came in via Pearl Creek to the north. Ranch Creek route is very well-packed--Jon Hall's 4-y/o daughter walked the whole way under her own power on the 16th. We skiied Vance's to JackAl last March with touring skis and skins, using backpacks. It took us about 7 hours for 3 people, although we weren't pushing fast. Another group had taken sleds over the day before and had a horrible time. The next day they attempted JackAl to Fowler Hilliard and had to bivy overnight. Both ascents are very similar, and they paid the price.