RED SANDSTONE CREEK VS. SPRADDLE CREEK APPROACH?

Post anything you think may be of interest to other hut users. Possible postings could include: Gear for Sale, Gear Wanted, Ride Exchange, Travel/Ski partners, Announcements about Avalanche or Backcountry Courses, Suggestions, Presentations or Slide Shows, Backcountry Tips, and Lost & Found. Please avoid profanity and heavy politcial polemics.
franky

RED SANDSTONE CREEK VS. SPRADDLE CREEK APPROACH?

Post by franky » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:55 pm

I am planning to skin up to eiseman hut next week, and I am still unsure of what approach to take, sandstone or spraddle?
I have never been to that area before so I am asking in terms of easiness to follow the trail. Assuming there is fresh snow and no tracks to follow, which approach/trail will be easier/safer to find the way to the hut?
Any comment's or suggestions will be helpful and appreciated!

lindazco

Re: RED SANDSTONE CREEK VS. SPRADDLE CREEK APPROACH?

Post by lindazco » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:12 pm

I have not been to the hut before, but from my research, Spraddle Creek is free of avalanche danger, and with wind-loaded new snow, danger may be high. Spraddle Creek is shorter and steeper, and more in the trees, and Red Sandstone Creek follows a road - more gentle grade, but longer approach. There is some avalanche hazard on the Red Sandstone Creek approach. We are supposed to be up there Fri-Sat, so maybe see you there?

NutMeg

Re: RED SANDSTONE CREEK VS. SPRADDLE CREEK APPROACH?

Post by NutMeg » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:19 pm

This post might be too late, but for others...
We just got back from Eisman on Thursday, 1/19. We had 10 inches of fresh powder at Vail the night before we went. We did take a wrong turn on our approach on Spraddle (a common mistake as we learned later), and spent an extra two hours on the trail--this meant that we came in after dark. If you go Spraddle, follow the diamonds closely and watch your topo map closely. Some of us came back down Red Sandstone, which was a smooth, obvious, easy cruise. Snow all the way to the trailhead, so no walking!