Janet's to Fowler Hilliard

Post anything you think may be of interest to other hut users. Possible postings could include: Gear for Sale, Gear Wanted, Ride Exchange, Travel/Ski partners, Announcements about Avalanche or Backcountry Courses, Suggestions, Presentations or Slide Shows, Backcountry Tips, and Lost & Found. Please avoid profanity and heavy politcial polemics.
kwheeler63

Janet's to Fowler Hilliard

Post by kwheeler63 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 am

Has anyone ever done a route from Janet's to Fowler Hilliard?
I was at FH one year and some 60+ y/o folks come through from Janet's. Thing is I am looking at the schedule and that would line me up perfectly.

The topos look pretty easy if you cross right at Ptarmigan Pass.

Thanks
KW

sam

Re: Janet's to Fowler Hilliard

Post by sam » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:52 pm

It is definetly doable. The least avi prone route would take you up to Searle Pass to the South of Janets then East to Elk Mountain, then North over Sugarloaf and eventually to Ptarmigan Pass, (this ridge is know as machine gun ridge).

tomgos

Post by tomgos » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:49 pm

I've done Janet's to Jackal which does share part of the route with Janet's to FH, and agree with Sam that the safest route is up to Searle pass and then over the summit of Elk Mtn. In my expierience the ridge from Searle to the summit is often exposed rocks so you are walking (with zero avy danger). There is also a good route across the north side of Elk to an obvious pass on Machine Gun ridge. There can definitely be some avy danger along Machine Gun ridge, so this trip is probably best for folks with some knowlege of traveling in avy terrain. Perhaps the biggest hazard would be poor visibility as pretty much the entire route from Janet's to FH is above treeline and the wind can really rip across Machine Gun ridge. Regardless of your exact route choice, I believe good navigation skills and a prepared route plan with GPS would be essential in case the weather turns on you.

Max

Post by Max » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Does anyone have a GPS file for this route that they could email me? The lady and I are staying at the Fowler/Hilliard hut and then skiing over to Janet's over Christmas weekend and would really appreciate any tips, map info, and/or a super awesome GPX file to follow. :D

If so my email is max.feldman@colorado.edu

Thanks a ton! Also if you have any suggestions feel free to call or text me at (240) 672-1395