Point Breeze Skiing (Downhill or Nordic) Options

Post anything you think may be of interest to other hut users. Possible postings could include: Gear for Sale, Gear Wanted, Ride Exchange, Travel/Ski partners, Announcements about Avalanche or Backcountry Courses, Suggestions, Presentations or Slide Shows, Backcountry Tips, and Lost & Found. Please avoid profanity and heavy politcial polemics.
bthornburgh

Point Breeze Skiing (Downhill or Nordic) Options

Post by bthornburgh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:56 pm

What are the skiing options (downhill or Nordic) like around Point Breeze? I know Ski Cooper is across the street from the trailhead, but I am interested in the backcountry options around the hut. The terrain looks pretty flat so I'm assuming Nordic/touring might be decent, is that true? What about the steeper terrain West of the hut, any good options for some downhill turns?

Thanks!

bthornburgh

Re: Point Breeze Skiing (Downhill or Nordic) Options

Post by bthornburgh » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 am

Now that we've been to Point Breeze, I thought I would reply in case anyone else is interested. The primary skiing opportunities near the hut are ungroomed cross country ski trails. There are two loops (Treeline and Powderhound) that are easily accessible from the hut. Treeline passes through an open meadow with some views of Mt. Elbert. Both trails are well marked and appear to be well traveled so they were easy to find/follow. There is a much larger loop 7-8 miles called Mitchell Creek (?) that looked quite interesting if you are looking for an all day ski. The Colorado Trail side of the loop was not broken when we were there on Dec. 22-24. The part of the loop that continues after Powderhound turns off appeared to have been skied a lot. We did not find any terrain near the hut that would provide any decent downhill turns. There were flyers in the mailbox in front of Point Breeze; as well as, in the hut with details on all of the trails.

If you haven't been to Point Breeze before it is very nice and setup very well for kids. We had a 2 year old and an 8 month old with us and the hut was the perfect distance from the car and provided all the amenities needed for small kids (pack and play, "attached" outhouse, sleds, etc.).