Buds, Skinner, BB?

Post anything you think may be of interest to other hut users. Possible postings could include: Gear for Sale, Gear Wanted, Ride Exchange, Travel/Ski partners, Announcements about Avalanche or Backcountry Courses, Suggestions, Presentations or Slide Shows, Backcountry Tips, and Lost & Found. Please avoid profanity and heavy politcial polemics.
Kennybob

Buds, Skinner, BB?

Post by Kennybob » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:21 am

Looking at stringing Buds to Skinner to Betty Bear a week before christmas. Anyone done this route that could give me input on it? Also, What about transport back to Leadville?

jmpet

Re: Buds, Skinner, BB?

Post by jmpet » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:53 pm

I've done some of that route. From Turquoise Lake to Skinner back to Buds and back out the same way. Also from Betty Bear to Skinner and back out through Betty Bear. One of my ski buddies did the trip west to east and got transportation back to the Ruby Lake trail head, but it costs, big time. The links to ground transportation are on the 10th Mt. web. If I were you I'd be very sure that my group was very capable and ready. This is not a walk in the woods! At that time of year, with the short days, you must be ready to hit the trail at day break. You don't want to be wondering around looking for Skinner Hut in the dark. The first time we went there it was almost dark, later January. We skied right over the hut and down the other side when one of use noticed a tunnel dug out of the snow,it was the hut entrance. It was 10 below inside the hut, it took awhile to get comfortable.

llarrywhite

Re: Buds, Skinner, BB?

Post by llarrywhite » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:54 am

I did the route from E to W with a car planted at Road 505 trailhead. A great tour but not for the inexperienced or out of shape. Early season conditions on the south facing slopes above the inlet of Turquoise LK - Watch for obstacles!. The climb up Glacier Creek is a grunt with route finding challenges since blue diamonds are sparse. Route finding over Hagerman Pass could be difficult in whiteout conditions and if the road bed is obscured with deep snow. Be sure to turn south and avoid going down to the west into Ivanhoe Creek. Crack-of-dawn starts are imperative! Happy Touring!
Lawrence H. White